The Clos du Caillou was founded in 1895 when Elie Dussaud settled there and created an old cellar. It started as a hunting preserve and this history ironically led to its exclusion from the Chateauneuf-du-Pape appellation upon its creation in the 1930's. It’s only in 1955, with the Pouizin family, that the “Caillou Island” isolated on his wonderful terroir started to open his doors. Claude Pouizin, started to deforest the hunting reserve to value the place. According to him, the terroir of this place was exceptional and could not stay only woods.