Established 1670 by William Burgoyne and John Jackson Warre's Port was established in 1670 by William Burgoyne and John Jackson under the company name Burgoyne & Jackson. It was not until 1729 that William Warre joined the company and formed Clark, Thornton and Warre. Famous also for being the first British company established in Portugal, as well as producing the first and oldest port brand in the world, Warre's Warrior Reserve Port. Andrew James Symington became a partner of Warre & Co in 1905 and it wasn't until 1961 that the Symington family became sole owners.
The fruit for the Warre's Vintage Ports is primarily sourced from three vineyards, Quinta da Cavadinha, Quinta do Retiro Antigo, both located within the Douro Valley's Cima Corgo sub-region and Quinta da Telhada, located within the Douro Superior, sub-region. Quinta do Retiro Antigo situated in the Rio Torto Valley, became an integral part of Warre's Vintage Ports in 1935 and Quinta da Cavadinha, situated in the Pinhao Valley, was acquired by Warre & Co in 1980. Quinta da Telhada was purchased from Cockburn's in 1980, replanted and acquired by the Symington Family in 2006. The vineyard is one of the most remote in the Douro Valley, located some 15 miles from the Spanish Border, on an isolated stretch of the Douro River.