Established 1820 by William and John Graham W & J Graham's was established in 1820 in port city of Porto, by two Scottish brothers William and John Graham. In 1882 Andrew James Symington joined the firm, leaving a short time later to set up as a port producer with Warre & Co. In 1890 W & J Graham's acquired their first vineyard, located on the North bank of the River Douro, Quinta do Malvedos. The vineyard is one of the greatest and is situated in the Cima Corgo (Upper Corgo) sub-region near Tua, between Pinhao and the Valeira Dam.
They also purchased Graham's Lodge which is located on a ridge in Vila de Gaia, across the river Douro from Porto. In 1924 W & J Graham's acquired their second vineyard, Quinta Das Lages in the Rio Torto Valley, also in the heart of the Douro Valley, Cima Corgo (Upper Corgo) sub-region.
W. & J. Graham's was purchased by the Symington Family nearly 100 years after the intervention of Andrew James Symington in 1970. The Graham's 1970 Vintage Port was released in 1972 and is revered as one of the best, the 20th century has to offer. The Symington Family combine the two W & J Graham's vineyards, Quinta Dos Malvedos and Quinta Das Larges with two Symington Family owned stables, Quinta Do Vale De Malhadas and Quinta Da Vila Velha to produce some of the best Vintage Ports around.