Established 1798 by Bruno da Silva Dow's Port was established in 1798 by Bruno da Silva and in 1862 Bruno's son John da Silva merged with Frederick William Cosens forming Silva & Cosens. In 1877 James Ramsay Dow joined the company forming Silva & Cosens, Dow & Co, adopting the Brand Name DOW'S. The Symington Family became sole owners in 1961, nearly 50 years after Andrew James Symington became a percentage partner in 1912.
The fruit for the Dow's Vintage Ports come primarily from two vineyards, Quinta do Bomfim, located within the Douro Valley's Cima Corgo sub-region and Senhora da Ribeira, located further upriver in the Douro Superior sub-region. Quinta do Bomfim was acquired in 1896 and Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira in 1890, sold in 1954 and re-acquired by the Symington Family in 1998. Combined with two privately owned Symington Family vineyards, Santinho and Cerdeira to the production of Dow's Vintage Ports.
Both located in the Douro Valley's, Douro Superior sub-region and both with south facing vines and a stone throw from Dow's very own Senhora da Ribeira, also located within the eastern Douro Superior.